Fairness in the Family

I shall tell another story about the Rabbit family today.

It was Spring, and the days of burrow cleaning drew closer. After a season of hibernation, the burrows were full of stuff to be cleared out.

Brother Rabbit, as usual, had already cleared his burrow before the close of winter, and was relaxing away. Mother Rabbit had set the rules long ago – each rabbit was responsible for his and her own burrow.

Sister Rabbit, however, had experienced a bad bout of sickness during the Winter, and her burrow not only looked terrible – it smelled terrible as well.

“It’s not fair, mummy!” cried Sister Rabbit, “I’ve so much more to clear than Brother Rabbit! I’m still sick and I’ve to clear my burrow myself?”

Mother Rabbit sighed and said, “Dear, didn’t we agree to the clearing of the burrows ourselves? If I’m fair, I have to administer the rules equally!”

Mother Rabbit watched sadly as Sister Rabbit stomped off to sulk in a corner. She turned to Brother Rabbit and asked, “Dear, do you think you can clear the burrows for your sister?”

Brother Rabbit shrugged and proceeded to clean up her burrow. He knew his sister well – cleaning up her burrow was not a big deal anyway, especially since she really had been sick a while.

Fairness is also in the eyes of the beholder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When AFP contains errors

Homonyms, Homophones and Homographs