The Love of the Father

Yet another story from the Mistress’s Child series.

The Butler had a wonderful day out drinking (tea of course) with his friends at the Mansion. As he opened the main door of the rented house and entered, he saw the Mistress’s Child holding on to a letter, her fingers trembling as she read. He sensed that something was wrong.

“Are you alright, Little Mistress?”

“Alfred…it’s a letter from my father. He…he’s inviting me to the Mansion for lunch…” The Butler could sense the fear from the girl. She had not forgotten how she was treated during her last visit to the Mansion.

“Maybe I shouldn’t go. Maybe I should just tell my father that I’ve fallen sick, maybe…”

“Little Mistress,” the Butler interrupted her, “May I say something?”

The pale but beautiful face of the girl before him looked in surprise. She was probably expecting him to just agree with her. She nodded, “Please do, Alfred.”

“Your father is about the same age as me,” the elderly man had a glimmer in his eye as he spoke, “It is not easy for someone of my age to say sorry to his daughter. I think your father just wanted to show that he still loves you.”

“Really?”

The Butler could not be sure if she was just unsure or she really doubted what he said.

“Yes, Little Mistress. I would suggest you go for the lunch. And if it turns out bad, you can always fire me for giving you bad advice.” The Butler bowed as he said that.

“Oh, Alfred!” The Mistress’s Child sighed as she giggled, “You are probably one of the closest to a father I have ever had. I would not fire you over that. I will go for the lunch then. You’d have to prepare your special salve again if I get slapped.”

Both the little mistress and the servant laughed together, the door still opened.

The Mistress’s Child woke up early the next day to prepare for her trip to the Mansion. She made sure she put on her best dress (hand-me-downs from the servant’s quarters in the Mansion) and some make-up as well. She remembered her father saying that she looked like her mother when she puts on make-up. She winced a bit at the delicate areas where her father had slapped her just a week ago. It still hurt.

At least three times during the long journey, she had wanted to tell the driver to pull back, to return to the safety of her house, away from the dreaded encounter with her father. Each time she remembered the Butler’s smile, and bit her tongue. Alfred had better not be wrong, she thought to herself.

Her father was at the main door to welcome her. She was taken aback as he grabbed her hand and led her to his office, where he normally eats and conducts his business. She could feel the eyes of the servants upon her. She was even more uncomfortable when she saw that her brother had been observing everything as well.

“Sit, girl, I want to tell you…” He stopped as he happened to notice her cheeks, still puffed up over the tight slap he had given her. He reached his hand out to her cheek, only to have her pull back in terror, her hands raised to protect herself. The Businessman paused as he suddenly felt the invisible stab of pain in his heart. He pulled back his hand, grabbed a chair nearby and sat next to her.

“You know, girl, I have read your proposals again,” the Businessman smiled as he spoke to her, “I like many of the ideas within, and I will implement them in my next business plan.”

The Mistress’s Child found herself stunned and speechless. She found herself all confused as her father droned on and on over the many changes he would be making to incorporate her ideas. She only awoken from her stupor when she heard her father say something she had not heard for a long time.

“I think it has been so long since I last saw your mother. I am going down for a visit, and I will take a few workmen with me too. I think your house needs some repairs. Please let your mother know that I will go down the next week, after I have finished with this project.”

She could not wait for the carriage to stop as it neared her house. She jumped down and ran to the Butler, waiting at the opened door for her as usual. She flew at the elderly man and gave him a long and warm hug.

The Butler’s heart was full of gladness. He had not seen the Little Mistress so happy for a long, long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When AFP contains errors

Homonyms, Homophones and Homographs